Friday, March 6, 2009

Kalena Makes A Friend

Kalena is at that age where she loves other little children and gets excited whenever we see them out and about. Frequently she will also yell across the store to another child "What is your name" or wave frantically saying "Hi... Hi... Hi.."
While shopping at Costco, today, Kalena and Sara were sitting side by side in the cart while I picked out some fruit. Across the isle was a little girl parked in her cart, and of course Kalena struck up a friendly "conversation" with the little girl.

"Is that your mommy?" she asked, gesturing to the adult next to the little girl.

The other little girl was a little younger than Kalena, I think, and she just stared blankly back at her.

"This is my mommy," she continued, pointing enthusiastically at me.

Still no response, but of course this didn't slow Kalena a bit as she continued to talk to the girl, waving and trying to get the girl to wave back. When it was time to move on we said good bye to the little girl, who was still sitting expressionless in her cart (maybe she didn't speak English?).
As I pushed the cart away I asked Kalena, "Kalena, did you make a friend?" hoping Kalena wouldn't feel badly that the girl never responded.

"Yeah, I did," she said happily. "Mommy, she was SOOOOOOOO nice."

1 comment: