Sunday, June 19, 2011

Kalena's Larvae!


I can't believe I am saying this... but the girls and I had been on edge every day last week... waiting for some larvae to come in the mail. Yes... it is ladybug larvae and it finally arrived this past weekend. It was really a huge deal in our household. Kalena and Sara have never been too entertained by the thought of a pet dog or cat... but for several months now Kalena has been begging me for a pet ladybug. When we saw the beloved "Ladybug Land" at Lakeshore, it was all she could do to contain herself. For months I had been telling her that she can't have a ladybug as a pet, and that God made them especially to live outdoors. I was wrong. We now have about 5 large, thriving ladybug larvae living in our Ladybug Land. They should be fully developed ladybugs in a few weeks. Kalena was so cute when they finally arrived... hyperventilating and dancing around the house. She even asked to sleep with them right beside her head (yes, they are still just ugly larvae) along with a flashlight to check on them.

Our four and a half year old Kalena has really made some educational strides this past week too! She has finally began to read, which has been so exciting and something she has looked forward to for the past year! It was an amazing moment when she first began to read her first words. Her face lit up and she gasped, and literally I saw the lights go on in her eyes...and something click in her little brain. It was a moment I will never forget. She was overjoyed, and so was I. We hugged and giggled for a while before we continued. It was so sweet. We are so excited for her to start Kingergarden this fall, and we know she will love school so much.

Kalena has been growing more and more in love with the coming baby. She is constantly wrapping herself around my belly, and trying to feel the baby move. She presses all over it to try to feel a foot or a hand and gets so excited when she feels a kick. She would love it if the baby was a girl, but I have finally convinced her that if it is a boy, she will still love him. She was not sure for a while if she could love a brother. She says she loves baby boys and grown up boys like daddy, but she doesn't like kid boys except for Judah Wenslawski and Luke Loving.

My favorite recent Kalena Quotes:
"Daddy, I love you all across the sky (waving hands in the air enthusiastically).... Daddy, I love you until my loves BOOMS into Heaven! (Jumps up excitedly)"

"Mommy, If I were as old as you, I would marry daddy."

"Mommy, you shouldn't have told me about Heaven because I am so sad that I can't just go there now." (puts her face in her hands dramatically)

"I hope I have 10 sisters." She tells the ultrasound technician.

(Kalena commenting about my very pregnant belly) "Mommy, it looks like you are going to need some more skin." (I quite agree with her :)

If the baby is a boy, Kalena wants to name him John or Thomas, and if it is a girl, she wants to name her Lemma.

I love Kalena so much, and I love watching her grow. More and more she has an awareness of sin and God's grace in our lives. I pray she will continue to develop a love for God and want to serve Him more and more!! I am desperately trying to think of new ways to help her and Sara fall more in love with our Heavenly Father. I am excited to read Elise Fitzpatrick's book "Give them Grace" this summer. I want my girls to become obedient for one reason... because they love our Savior and want to please Him alone... not for anyone or anything else this world has to offer.

Having said that... and on a lighter note... I just might bribe Kalena with some sort of material possession if she can hold back her hysterics when we go to get shots at the Dr. later this afternoon. :) No matter how much she wants to obey and have self control, she completely looses it and has a frantic breakdown in the Dr. office when the shots come out. I am praying this afternoon might be different!

No comments:

Post a Comment