Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Verses for Physical Suffering

I learned a lot about myself and about God when I was in the first trimester of pregnancy with Kalena. I have never suffered so much physically and it really opened my eyes to an entire new dependence on the Lord. The only thing that made me feel better was reading through this list of Scriptures, and meditating on the fact that God is in control. I had Justin type these out for me because at times it was even too taxing to open my Bible. This list of verses stayed right beside my bed and I also had them in the hospital with me during the labor...however I can't say I stopped to read through them during contractions... but Justin memorized some and recited some for me during the labor, especially Romans 8:18. He was an amazing support through both deliveries, I am so thankful for him!! I will never forget him singing "Mercies Anew" to me on the way to the hospital (as we got caught in pedestrian traffic at UCLA and the extra 10min of driving seemed like 10 hours to me :)

Verse list helpful for trials and suffering:

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy
to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
Romans 8:18

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
2 Cor 1:3-4

“…The Lord gave
and the Lord has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the Lord."
Through all this Job did not sin
nor did he blame God.
Job 1:21b-22

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while,
if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of
Jesus Christ;
1Peter 1:6-7

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let
endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
James 1:2-4

Before I was afflicted
I went astray,
But now I keep Your word.
You are good
and do good;
Teach me Your statutes.
Psalms 119: 67-68

It is good for me
that I was afflicted,
That I may learn Your statutes.
The law of Your mouth is better to me Than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
Psalms 119:71-72

I know, O LORD, that Your judgments are righteous,
And that in faithfulness You have afflicted me.
O may Your
lovingkindness comfort me,
According to Your word to Your servant.
Psalms 119: 75-76

No comments:

Post a Comment