Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Community Group!

Within the Kaleo group at church there are several smaller groups that meet weekly, called Community Groups (thanks to Pastor Kent!). My Community Group has been meeting since October. Bethany, Marianne, Kaitlin, and Dulce have been an amazing blessing in my life, and I love them so much! God has blessed me beyond measure by these amazing girls and their hearts for God and His glory. The goals of our group are: affection for one another, discussion about applying the sermons, and accountability (the three A's from Kurt Gebhards... thanks Kurt!)
I find my self constantly referring to verses from the Bible in our group, but I can't always quote the verse exactly and I rarely know off the top of my head where the verse is. It is also hard for me to look the verse up in the moment. I am very convicted by this and want to change. I want to be able to quote God's word with authority from Him, skilfully and quickly. I fully believe that when Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." it means we are to activly wield this sword of God's word into our life and the lives of others for God to change us. This is a grusome picture, a worrier with a sword swinging around causing massive bloodshed. However if we look at a different annalogy of a skilled doctor, wielding a scalpel to remove a tumor from a desprete cancer patient, it becomes a differnt picture. It becomes an act of mercy and compassion, an act of one person just trying desperately to use the knowledge and skill God has given him to help another. Extreme effort must be made by the brain surgeon who applies his knowledge during surgery but can come within millimeters of killing their patient with their scalpel. We who are serious about God's Word, must take this same extreme effort in increasing our knowledge of the scalpel of God's word, and our skill in being able to insert it into the lives of others. So, here is my plan:
I am going to resolve to write down every verse I want to quote during group (or any other time) and then keep track of them. Here are the verses from this week that I wanted to quote at our group:
Proverbs 11:14
Where there is no guidance the people fall, But in abundance of counselors there is victory.

Proverbs 12:15
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel.

Proverbs 15:22
Without consultation, plans are frustrated, But with many counselors they succeed.

I know there were more verses I tried to quote and utterly failed, but I will do better next time about writing them down!! I am going to try to memorize this series of verses about counsel. It is an easy progression, Proverbs 11, 12 and 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment